Happy Thansgiving! I am thankful for my healthy and beautiful girls, a fabulous hubby (knezdad), my hubby's wonderful family, L&B's wonderful cooking (especially L's bread pudding!) and that I was accepted into my program...
This week I received notice of my "official" mentor, Dr. P...she's on maternity leave this semester, so we haven't connected yet (yay, another mom! She has two as well, but they are much younger than mine). It goes without saying that Dr. P is younger than me (isn't everyone?) - I think about by about 4 years. She's very respected in the field and I look forward to working with her.
Other professional mentors will be important to me as well. I received an assigned mentor through my professional organization. Dr. A is 29, loves her research field (very different from mine), an assistant professor at the U of Iowa (highly respected U in my field) and is a very enthusiastic mentor. I like her a lot.
I've decided to get my minor in SPED Administration (why? punishment, I suppose) and I connected with her last week. Dr. M is also enthusiastic about her field and has a related Master's degree, so she understands what I do.
I've looked through the course catalogue (on-line now...no more killing trees like when I was in grad school in 1989-1991). There are two courses I want to take (I can only take one) - One is taught be Dr. P (the official mentor) the other by Dr. M (the unofficial one)...we'll see how this works out after I have meetings with them.
Then there's Dr. S...the whole reason I'm doing this. She convinced me to adjunct for her (it only took 5 years of her asking and my girls to grow up a bit). She deserves a whole blog entry, but she'd be embarrassed to know it exists, so I'll just interject Dr. S-isms where appropriate.
knezdad - you are the ultimate support system...I couldn't do any of this without you and thank you for being such a wonderful hubby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment